U.C. Berkeley provides its students with a number of opportunities to examine first-hand the artifacts of the cultures studied by AHMA students.
The Sara B. Aleshire Center for the Study of Greek Epigraphy is a new campus research facility endowed by the Estate of the late Dr. Sara B. Aleshire, an alumna of AHMA and a distinguished scholar of Greek epigraphy and ancient Greek religion. The purpose of the Center is to encourage and support the research of UCB faculty and graduate students in ancient Greek inscriptions from all regions of the Mediterranean world. To that end, the Center provides funds for 1) research grants for travel to study Greek inscriptions; 2) seminars and conferences at UCB to further the study of Greek Epigraphy; and 3) book purchases related to the study of Greek Epigraphy. The Center is administered by an Advisory Committee to the Chairman of the Graduate Group in Ancient History and Mediterranean Archaeology. The chair of the Advisory Committee is Professor Nikolaos Papazarkadas. The Center is located in 6221 and 6223 Dwinelle Hall and includes a substantial research library in Greek epigraphy, an extensive collection of offprints especially in Greek religion, an archive of photographs of Greek inscriptions and a large collection of squeezes.
The mission of the Archaeological Research Facility is to support archaeological field and laboratory research undertaken by U.C. Berkeley archaeologists and related specialists. Currently, 36 U.C. Berkeley faculty members from 10 departments and Organized Research Units are active participants in the ARF. The ARF operates some laboratory facilities, and offers equipment and funding support to campus archaeologists (including graduate students). The ARF also publishes a newsletter and a publication series; oversees over $1,000,000.00 in endowments; sponsors a lecture series that attracts scholars of international repute; and operates an undergraduate teaching laboratory in cooperation with the Department of Anthropology as well as an educational outreach program.
The RMCL is a dedicated facility located on the UC Berkeley Campus in Dwinelle Hall, Room 310B (top floor/Level G, inside Suite 310). It is available for use by UC Berkeley faculty and students pursuing research involving Roman material culture.
The facility contains a work table, storage cabinets, bookshelves, a file cabinet, a map case and a computer table with two desktop computer (PC) work stations. The two computers are provided with software useful for the study of material culture, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite 6, FileMaker Pro 12, AutoCAD 2012, Harris Matrix Composer, DinoCapture 2.0, ArcView GIS, JMP 5, Pie-Slice, and the set of MURR programs for the analysis of multivariate archaeometric data and are connected to a laser printer and a scanner. The facility is equipped with two optical microscopes (Meiji ML9300 trinocular polarizing microscope; Meiji trinocular stereo microscope) provided with still and video camera systems, a digital microscope (Dino-Lite AM413T), a Nikon D5100 digital SLR camera, a Structure Sensor 3-D scanner and an O’Haus CS2000 electronic scale. It also contains a sizable collection of publications relevant to the study of Roman material culture (with particular emphasis on pottery), manuals for petrographic analysis, a collection of geologic and topographic maps of Italy, an extensive set of thin sections of Roman pottery and modest study collections of Italian potting clays, Roman pottery and Roman building stone.
For permission to use the laboratory, interested persons should contact the director (J.T. Peña, Department of Classics) by email at email@example.com).
The Del Chiaro Center for Ancient Italian Studies was founded in 2015 to promote and advance the study of the many cultures of ancient Italy, with special emphasis on the Etruscans and Romans. It will also support teaching and research at the University that address the relations and interactions of these peoples with the other cultures of the ancient Mediterranean.
The Phoebe Hearst Museum of Anthropology has extensive holdings of ancient artifacts, including Classical material, cuneiform tablets and an ancient Egyptian collection of more than 17,000 objects.
The Howell Bible Collection consists of approximately 300 rare books, primarily Bibles, dating largely from the 15th through the 18th centuries. The core of the Institute's collection consists of materials from Tell en-Nasbeh Palestine excavated under the direction of Dr. William Badè between 1926 and 1935. Of the hundreds of lamps, pitchers, bowls, jars, and jewelry and cosmetic items found in the ruins of the city, about half were deposited at the Rockefeller Museum in Jerusalem, while others were shipped to Berkeley. Those on display in the Badè Museum provide graphic evidence of everyday activities in a provincial town three thousand years ago, and offer instructive comparison with life in this century.
Nemea Center for Classical Archaeology
The Nemea Center for Classical Archaeology is a research unit within the Department of Classics that promotes teaching, research, and public service centered on the University of California's excavations at Nemea, Greece and its surrounding region. The Center is composed of the Nemea Excavation Archives, housed in 7125 Dwinelle Hall, and the Nemea Center facilities at the archaeological site of Nemea (Bowker House residence and the Thomas J. Long Study Room). The central activity of the Nemea Center is the excavation, study, conservation, and public presentation of the panhellenic Sanctuary of Zeus and its environs. The Center also promotes research in the region of the eastern Peloponnese including conducting on-going excavation and museum study at Mycenae.
The Tebtunis Papyri consist of the papyrus documents that were found in the winter of 1899/1900 at the site of ancient Tebtunis, Egypt. The expedition to Tebtunis, led by the British archaeologists Bernard Grenfell and Arthur Hunt, was financed for the University of California by Mrs. Phoebe Apperson Hearst. The Tebtunis Papyri are the largest collection of papyrus documents from a single site in the United States. Although the collection has never been counted and inventoried completely, the number of fragments contained in it exceeds 21,000. In addition to their website, the CTP maintains a blog concerning the study of papyri both at Berkeley and elsewhere.
The Townsend Humanities Lab is a community-driven digital resource offering a suite of Web 2.0 tools to foster interdisciplinary teaching, research, and collaboration among Berkeley scholars and their affiliates. The Lab offers tools for project organization and communication (event listings, file sharing, news broadcasts, and RSS feeds), as well as newer collaborative tools for text and image annotation, visualizations, mapping, and collaborative authoring.