Students enrolled in a graduate program at U.C. Berkeley have access to the following library resources:
With an ever growing collection of nearly 4,000,000 bound volumes and an impressive array of computerized catalogs, journal indexes, CD/ROMs, and other research tools, the U.C. Berkeley main library is often the first stop in any research effort.
The Art History-Classics Graduate Service consists of a suite of seminar rooms and a graduate reserve collection on the third floor of the main library maintained by the Art History/Classics Service. This collection contains most of the basic source material, texts, and periodicals for classical history, art, and archaeology and provides AHMA students with a private location for extended study.
The Baer-Keller Library of Egyptology is a non-circulating collection of approximately 9,000 volumes maintained by the Near Eastern Studies Department primarily for the use of UC Berkeley students and faculty pursuing serious study of Ancient Egyptian culture, Coptology and Papyrology. Egyptology students and professionals from other institutions are also welcome. Interested individuals should apply to the Near Eastern Studies Department.
The George and Mary Foster Anthropology Library, located in Kroeber Hall, is a branch library of The UCB Library System and functions as part of the larger Anthropology complex which includes the Department of Anthropology, the Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology, the Archaeological Research Facility, and the Folklore Archives.
The Graduate Theological Union (GTU) has an extensive library open to use by UC students. The collection focuses on religion (including New Testament Greek, Coptic, and Hebrew) and the history and archaeology of Syria-Palestine for all periods.
The Near Eastern Studies libraries are essential parts of the Department of Near Eastern Studies. The Libraries can be indispensable for research to both graduate and undergraduate students in the Department.The libraries house most of the reference materials on various disciplines within NES as well as some rare books (donated by scholars —past and present— affiliated with NES). The Libraries usually carry books put on reserve by NES faculty each semester, and can also be used as an excellent reading room for students and faculty. Library books are related to the following disciplines: Islamic Studies (Arabic, Turkish, and Persian, including the Mahjoub Persian Library) and Hebrew and Semitic Studies.The Hebrew/Semitics Library and the Islamic Studies Library both contain basic reference materials, including dictionaries and encyclopedias, and some of the most important texts in their fields. Access is generally limited to graduate students in the department and in the AHMA program. Both libraries are non-circulating.
The Robbins Collection holds more than 250,000 titles in several related fields: religious law encompassing the canon law of the Roman and Greek churches and the law of the Protestant churches, Jewish and Islamic law, and secular law including classical Roman law, ius commune, civil law, and English common law. Also among these titles are extensive collections in comparative law, jurisprudence, and legal history. Included are 225 manuscripts, the majority of which are medieval, 183 incunables, and another 2,000 titles printed before 1600. In addition, the Robbins Collection holds several thousand mircofilms of manuscripts, including all the medieval canon and Roman law manuscripts in the Vatican Library.
The Tebtunis Papyri consist of the papyrus documents that were found in the winter of 1899/1900 at the site of ancient Tebtunis, Egypt. The expedition to Tebtunis, led by the British archaeologists Bernard Grenfell and Arthur Hunt, was financed for the University of California by Mrs. Phoebe Apperson Hearst. The Tebtunis Papyri are the largest collection of papyrus documents from a single site in the United States. Although the collection has never been counted and inventoried completely, the number of fragments contained in it exceeds 21,000.
At present, the Aleshire Center’s library consists of ca. 1,300 books, 5,000 offprints, 1,000 photos, and 1,400 squeezes, which are housed on the Berkeley Campus in 6221-6223 Dwinelle Hall, and available for use by faculty, students, and visitors.