A. The General Financial Picture

All graduate students at the University of California must pay registration fees of approximately $9,315.75
per semester for the academic year 2017/18. Non-residents must also pay non-resident supplemental tuition
(NRST) of $7,551.00 per semester. U.S. citizens and permanent residents can normally establish California
residency and thus be exempted from paying NRST after one year. After being advanced to doctoral
candidacy, non-resident students are eligible to have their NRST reduced by 100% for a total of three
consecutive calendar years. AHMA will work with you to obtain continuous support through combinations
of university fellowships, departmental grants, GSI appointments, research assistantships, student loans,
travel awards, and extramural grants.

The AHMA program makes every effort to support you throughout your graduate career, provided that you
continue to make good progress towards your degree(s). Entering students are normally awarded a funding
package that covers their first two years. Beyond that, continuing students are eligible for a variety of
internal and extramural fellowships, and are strongly encouraged to apply for all such opportunities.
Information on many of these fellowships can be found on the Graduate Division website.

Students not awarded University fellowships or extramural support will usually be required to serve as a
GSI for one semester of each year (after completion of the first year) in order to be eligible for support from
AHMA in the other semester of each year. Students who have advanced to candidacy are required to apply
to outside sources of funding and must provide a copy of all such applications when applying for
departmental support of any kind. Generally, no AHMA funding will be awarded after the seventh year,
and sixth and seventh year funding will usually consist of teaching appointments only, usually in the
participating departments.

AHMA annually awards a number of smaller travel grants to enable students to acquire first-hand
knowledge of sites and museums, normally during the summer break (this assumes normal progress on
language requirements). You have the option of using this grant for intensive language study rather than